Sunday, September 28, 2008

crossing cultural boundaries

Today was interesting. The day started with great lesson from Beth Moore on Why Godly People Do Ungodly Things. Emily came to class. She is ready to have that baby and so I am ready to be grandma.
After lunch, I made another apple pie. I had taken the girls to the Edwards Apple Orchard on Friday. We picked a bushel of apples. Gave some to two neighbors. On Saturday made one pie and it was gone that night so it must have been good. Today, I made another one and there is one piece left right now. So then it was off to church to set up for ESL classes on Monday.
Visited with the Karen while there. After their service, 3 of them, a 70 year mother and her 2 sons, did not want to go home. One son is a preacher and the other plays piano. The mother taught Pastor's wives in seminary and the husband (now in heaven) taught in seminar in Thailand. So there was 45 minutes until our service started. I suggested we go to Beefaroo for a pop. I found out they did not know what a milkshake was. They do not like cold things. I got one milkshake and 3 spoons. There was whipped cream on top of it. They were very shy at first. I told them it was ok it they didn't like it and gave them a glass of water, no ice. Billy liked it but not as much as Marvel ousvee. He practically ate the whole shake. The guys are in their 40's.
But you should have seen the mother's face when she put the cold shake in her mouth. I should have had a camera! She thought it was good but too cold. She was getting brain freeze! They had been introduced to french fries. They called them potato sticks. Beefaroo, a local fast food place is know for their cheddar fries. So I got them fries with a side order of hot cheddar cheese. They loved it. Even got one to try fries with ketsup- sauce. Quite an English lesson. They learned milkshake, french fries, ketsup, Beefaroo, and brain freeze. I said that tonight they had crossed cultural boundaries. They all laughed and said , yes definitely difference in culture.
On the drive home they said they were so happy to spend time and make new American friends and to learn more English. Unless they are with Americans, they do not get to speak English.
They are in my husband's Sunday School class. They love church and would love to stay all day.
They come to both ESL classes on Mondays.
Who would have ever thought a milkshake would cross cultural boundaries and open doors.?
Imagine a 70 year old woman trying a cold milkshake for the first time! She had drank everything hot or warm for 70 years! Also she got a winter coat at the church shopping house. When we left to take them home, she was wearing it. They are not used to cold weather either!
Only 3 days until my daughter leaves for graduate school. Won't see her until Christmas.
Only 5 weeks to granddaugher.

1 comment:

~Bren~ said...

I made my pie today. It was VERY good. Thank you for the apples!!!
A milkshake sounds wonderful right now!! Have you had the fruit smoothies from Baskin Robbins??? Too die for!!!!